Monday, April 13, 2009

Thanks for the Memories (Even Though They Weren't That Great)


Let's be honest. We all got a little excited when we saw that Dicky V picked Syracuse as one of the five most dangerous teams for the 09-10 season. We pictured Jonny Flynn smiling widely cutting down the nets. We saw Eric Devendorf taking a celebratory swing at an innocent female fan. We imagined Paul Harris getting screamed at by Jim Boeheim even during the post game victory celebration.

But, all these dreams have been lost as we have seen the Syracuse Orange move from a potential top five squad, to a mediocre bunch in a matter of weeks. With news of the departure of the Cuse's top 3 scorers Flynn, Devendorf, and Harris, one can only expect another season where the Orange will struggle to be in the final 65 teams come next March.

The good thing is that we all knew this was coming. I mean, these three made it evident that they would be leaving at the end of the season. Oh wait, that never happened. Each of them actually managed to tell us that they would be returning next year.

This came from Flynn in mid March, "I'm coming back to Syracuse. That's it. I'm coming back to Syracuse. There is no 'as of right now.' I'm coming back to Syracuse. Yeah. I'm coming back to Syracuse. You can believe whatever you want to believe. I can't make you believe it. I can only say it. I'm coming back." Today the Post Standard broke that Flynn plans to sign with an agent next week. Goodbye Jonny. And thanks for sparing us the confusion. Not.

The same exact claim was made by both Devendorf and Harris. This came from Devo in the Oklahoma post game during the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament, "I'm coming back." Even Devendorf's father put in a vote of confidence saying Eric planned to stay for his final year of eligibility.

Harris had this to say,"I'm here, man. I came this far. Might as well stick it out. I was never looking to go anywhere anyways. It's the media that says that."

Now let's be fair. Each of these players has their reasons. Flynn has the chance to be a lottery pick, with millions of dollars at his disposal. Harris has two children and Devendorf has a child of his own, meaning money is of importance to them as well.

What's unfortunate is that the trio couldn't be honest with Syracuse fans. Instead of guaranteeing their return, maybe they could have left us up in the air, or at least mentioned that leaving was a possibility. Don't get me wrong, I understand players leaving, I even expect it. But the way the team was dismantled this year is enough to make a fan bitter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it, Thank you for the memories Paul

Zach S-E said...

"Mo' money, mo' problems" - Biggie.

Nice pic of Boehim, I hate Flynn the most, because of what he said in March... Flynn's a BITCH!

Unknown said...

Jimmy seems to think Flynn might come back. Any thoughts about that?